Saturday, November 14, 2009

Deer Hunt - Caleb's first deer

Ok, first I have to say that I got my first deer recently also (on halloween actually) but it was a doe so we didn't get any pictures. I'm still quite proud of myself though. I spotted it and shot it all by myself, and gutted it with a little help from Stewart.
Caleb shot his first deer a week after me. He got this little spike. It was a good shot- buzzed the liver and hit the lungs. He also did most of the gutting himself with some help from Stewart. As you can see from this picture, he was VERY excited.
A day or two later Stewart came home with another spike, so I had to get pictures of them with their matching spikes.


Here they have a little different terminology than back in Utah. When we would say two-point in Utah they say forked horns here, because they fork. So Stewart brought this little buck home the other day and we were calling it a spike with eye guards, but I talked to a local that told me it's called sporked horns. I love that term. So here's a picture of Stew's Sporked horns.

This last week we got our first overnight guests at our new place. Travis (Paula's brother that lives in Ketchikan) brought his son over to hunt for the week. They managed to get a nice forked horn buck early in the week and added a spike to it later in the week. For a while our mudroom looked a bit like a butcher shop.

For those that are saying to themselves "now how many deer can you get?" Stewart and I can each get 6. 1 has to be off the main island and so we probably won't get that one for either of us. 4 of the others have to be bucks. And the fifth can be a buck or doe. At this point we've got 7 deer (2-forked horns, 1- sporked horn, 1- spike by 2, 2-spikes, and a doe. And I am ready for this year's hunt to be over, but it lasts till the end of December. Next year Caleb can get his own tags and we will be allowed 18 deer for our family. That ought to be fun!!!

No comments: